These are made from Songbird Yarn & Fibres's sock weight European Bee-eater yarn, such fun to work with. I used my old favorite mitten pattern, The World's Simplest Mitten Pattern (Tin Can Knits). But I'd never made it in fingering weight yarn before and the size 0 dpns made me feel like a giant while working the cuffs :)
I finally managed to make mittens where I didn't have to sew up gaps at the thumb while finishing. Terribly pleased about that. I found this resource helpful.
This blanket started out with the yarn, four skeins of Rowan pure wool worsted in (oak, hazel, rosy, and toffee) from a LYS sale a couple years ago. It's kinda based on Susan Andrews's Warm Me Up Tommy pattern, but I departed in a number of ways, including needle size (I used 9s instead of 8s, mostly because I had them at the ready), blanket size, border (seed stitch rather than ribbed), and color design (color blocks rather than a main color with skinny contrasting stripes). It turned out pretty sweet!
When a dear and crafty friend offered to send us each a skein of yarn from Songbird Yarn and Fibres, our youngest child's choice was Northern Parula, to be knitted up into a buddy. After some deliberation, they chose the two buddies in Rebecca Danger's Daphne and Delilah pattern. (Which I actually bought and followed pretty closely: a novel experience for me, as I'm used to making up my own little creatures.)
They are delightful. And from a process perspective, it was such fun to see how the yarn's colors striped and pooled differently when worked at a variety of circumferences.
I never follow hat patterns without major adjustments, because I have an enormous head. This is the first pattern that's ever produced a hat that fits me. Much rejoicing. So, big-headed friends, check out Ágnes Kutas-Keresztes's free pattern Christian's Hat.
This pattern's approach to texture played really beautifully with a yarn a friend sent me as a pandemic relief gift, mostly purples with little bursts of blues and greens. It's March Hare (Wonderland Yarns's worsted weight) in June. A real joy to work with and touch.
I had this shawl on needles for just over two years, something I mostly worked on a couple stripes at a time when I happened to be between projects. And I designed it as I went along, figuring out the border color and pattern once I got there, and then the bind off method once I'd completed the final row. So it's a treat to see it all finished and blocked and lovely!
(That pretty little edge is from the Icelandic bind off, by the way, very easy and quick to work and a nice new option for me. The lace work is double eyelet rib.)
Okay, so admittedly they have cuffs, but silly short ones: I made them to go with hoodies and cardigans that have snug-fitting cuffs and get into weird battles with the rest of my hand-warming knits.
I made these in Madeline Tosh Vintage (Popoki? we're not 100% sure of the colorway -- my teenager let me steal some of this from a big gift shipment a friend sent from her stash). Working with the short color changes and observing surprising color combinations as rounds came together on the needles was just delightful.
Now I have to remember I have these once it's chilly again. I have a tendency to forget about the cozy things I make and tuck away in the spring and early summer. Maybe these are so bright I won't be able to lose them!
Pretty much straight-up Victoria Anne Baker's Treads pattern, except I needed to use one size smaller DPNs and leave out a few rows in the second panel of linen ridge. I love the lateral braid technique, a new one for me.